Striving For Mediocrity

Ramblings of a thirtysomething sometimes bitter single girl living in Southern California with her gay cat and crazy neighbors. Doing her damnedest to find one good man that won't drive her completely nuts.

Friday, August 26, 2005

I got tagged by DK, but luckily, the doctor says this creme will clear the rash up.

Well, I got tagged by Danjerus Kurves to do the latest meme that's going around. Which, is better than the last thing she gave me that was spreading around. I mean, um, uh.... oh, nevermind.

Ten years ago, I was 21 years old, and pretty much drunk 24 hours a day with Kay in some bar somewhere. I was living at home with my parents, working at the YMCA doing childcare (a perfect job to have when you're hungover and cranky) and had just met X, and had a secret crush on him, and never told anyone, because I never ever thought a girl like me would get a guy like him (thanks, self-esteem!). Not long after my 22nd birthday (which, I'll just casually mention is September 28th - but I would never solicit strangers for gifts *coughwishlistcough* because that would just be tacky), he asked me on our first date, and I turned into a mushy love-struck retard soon after.

Five years ago, I was just starting to get over the break-up with X. I was drinking a lot, smoking a lot, and eating A LOT. Good times. One of the few things that brought any joy into my life at that time was RAM, who was just about to turn a year old. I also started working at the company I am at now, thanks to my persistent pestering of Celestia (even though our friendship had been beyond repair at that point) to get me in. I was also living in an apartment with no windows that looked outside. It's hard to explain, but it was in the center of a square building. My windows looked out onto the hall and the apartment across from me.

One year ago, I had just started this journal, and was battling my insurance company daily to get them to cover my surgery (apparently Type II diabetes and your heart almost stopping completely don't count as making it "medically necessary"). I was dating Jason, not seriously, but we were having fun. I also went to Vegas with the friends, so that I could have my farewell to the Vegas buffet, since I knew post-surgery I would never be able to shovel that crap in like that again, and I have to say, I am glad I can't. It was also the second time, in an alcohol-induced blaze of glory, I managed to make an ass out of myself and trip in front of hundreds of total strangers. It's good to be me.

NOT.

Yesterday, I sat at work, and didn't do much, except read diaries, email my friends, and think terribly hateful and mean things about Celestia. Wow. That's pretty much every day. I also started the second job yesterday, which is going to take lots of work on my part, I realized. I also realized that realtors are marketing NAZIS. But at least it's going to keep me busy.

Five snacks I enjoy:
Cheese (duh)
Green apples
Peanut Butter
Cherries
Pirate Booty (if you don't know what this is, you're missing a little piece of white cheddar flavored puffed rice heaven, my friends)

5 Songs I know all the words to:
It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones
Everyday I Love You Less And Less - Kaiser Chiefs
The Chauffer - Duran Duran
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
Stupid Girl - Garbage

Five things I would do with a hundred million dollars:
Give about twenty million to my parents
Buy a house on the beach
Buy a house in Savannah
Give to charities
Save the rest for...

Five places I would run away to:
Italy (mostly Tuscany, where some of that hundred mill would buy a lovely villa)
England
Hawaii
Ireland
Australia

Five things I would never wear:
Low rise jeans
Spaghetti straps
A bikini
Fur (though I don't care if others wear it)
Dresses (ok, almost never - usually someone has to be dead or getting married)

Five favorite TV shows:
Shows that are on now:
Arrested Development
Scrubs
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Favorite shows that aren't on:
Seinfeld
Sex and the City
What's Happening
Little House on the Prairie (shutup)
WKRP in Cincinnati (shutup if I spelled it wrong, Bill)

Five biggest joys:
Ike
Hearing RAM tell me how much he loves me
My family
My friends
Music

Five favorite toys:
Ok, I have enough to fill all five slots, so I'll just say the contents of the top drawer in my nightstand
My computer
My cell phone
My digital camera
My Spongebob Squarepants pez dispensers




So, it seems a lot of people are bailing on Diaryland. And, I don't blame them, since I got bilked out of $55 that I'll never get back. And, since I am not getting it back, I need to make some really good banners to advertise this diary.

Any of you talented people who have skills in such things would have my undying gratitude if you could help me in this arena. I know next to nothing about making banners. And I need to use every single banner run I have left, dammit. I should also use all the image space I have left, too...

Damn the man.




Happy Friday.

12 Comments:

At August 26, 2005 10:44 AM, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

My favorite banner trick was coming up with some sort of smart ass comment and just keeping it simple. Those are usually the ones I click on, too.

And you SO stole my low-rise answer. ;)

 
At August 26, 2005 10:52 AM, Blogger warcrygirl said...

I'm taking an online course for Paint Shop Pro 9 and I just learned how to make banners today! I could mess around and make some for you for practice and if they suck it won't hurt my feelings.

Whaddaya say?

And fuck, I so forgot to list fur on my Do Not Wear list, but at least I got schlong.

 
At August 26, 2005 11:35 AM, Blogger andria said...

Loopy, hell yes I stole your low rise answer. :)

Warcry, bring on the banners, sister!!

DK, you dumb hoar. This proves you're not reading my blog, because I talked about it about a week and a half ago. Thanks a lot...sheesh. :(

hehehe.

 
At August 26, 2005 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

impeccable; IMPECCABLE taste in music! Hurrah!!!!

 
At August 26, 2005 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love banners. I make them all the time. They usually invoke the words prozac or imply that I'm insane. And when I do them I'm usually sitting alone in my bedroom laughing my ass off. Perhaps I'm the only one though. Hmm. oh the sad, sad life of wittykitty.

 
At August 26, 2005 12:30 PM, Blogger andria said...

DK, I don't know what you did to my blog, but the entry isn't posted anymore... Did you do some of your british voodoo? Dammit. Now I have to figure this out.

 
At August 26, 2005 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your wishlist link is incorrect, it just directs you to the generic amazon.com example wishlist.

 
At August 26, 2005 2:36 PM, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

Dude, I've been totally slacking on my blogger-community activities, but *I* remember you discussing your second job setting up databases for realtors or something like that...

 
At August 26, 2005 2:47 PM, Blogger andria said...

THANK YOU LOOPY! I knew I wasn't going crazy. I have no idea why that entry isn't up, but it's in my archives for me to edit,it just isn't posted, which is weird, because it was posted before. Goddammit. WTF is going on here?

Bah. Who knows.

 
At August 26, 2005 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so much to say to you! First of all: Swim seagull in the sky towards that hollow western isle, my envied lady holds you fast in her gaze.

Correct? I duuno. LOVE that song. Also, you know how I got here? YOUR BANNER. I totally knew it was you. HELL TO THE NO. I have the Greatest Love of All for Bobtney Brouston. When are you coming over?

 
At August 27, 2005 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping Ike is back home with you and doing ok! He is beautiful! You must be missing him. You know, I miss Mashka (my kitty) at work..I think about her.. sick I tell you! Take care! xoxox

 
At August 27, 2005 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

despite recent stebacks in the space program, perhaps NASA has developed spaghetti straps that are more, mmmmmm, accomodating and structurally sound for milady?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home