Striving For Mediocrity

Ramblings of a thirtysomething sometimes bitter single girl living in Southern California with her gay cat and crazy neighbors. Doing her damnedest to find one good man that won't drive her completely nuts.

Monday, August 22, 2005

It's not sad when single women talk about their cats, right? RIGHT??

This entry's not any fun. It's mostly me whining.

You've all been warned.

For the last week or two, Ike, my cranky ginormous cat, has been peeing in spots around the house, which he never does. At first, he was going in the same places my other cat, Boo (who is now an outdoor cat because of her bad bathroom habits) was peeing, so I figured he was picking up the scent and going there.

Then, on Friday night, I could smell urine on my bed. He normally uses my bed to deposit his hairballs, which I've learned to live with, but he's never peed there. I woke up Saturday morning to two intensely smelly puddles in my kitchen, giving my whole apartment the fragrant aroma of cat piss. Mmmmm.

NOT.

So, I spent Saturday morning cleaning my kitchen floor with bleach, and washing my sheets and comforter in bleach and vinegar to kill the smell so he wouldn't smell it and go again. Which sucked, because my favorite purple jersey knit sheets now look like a Grateful Dead concert shirt.

All seemed well again, until Sunday morning, I was getting ready to go meet some friends, and the shirt I had laid on my bed was wet. I flipped out, and immediately called the vet to get him in ASAP.

Ike doesn't like the vet. AT ALL. He knows as soon as we get in the car, that he's going to be poked, stuck, and fucked with. So, when I got in the car, he started crying. Which, makes me feel terrible, and I in turn start to cry (shutup). The cardboard carrier I had him in (which he is the same size as, incidentally) was on my passenger seat. All of a sudden, the top of the box rips in half, Ike jumps out of it, and starts running around in my car. Hair was flying EVERYWHERE. I was trying to drive, and deal with this fucking animal running all over the place, and I started to panic (thanks a lot anxiety, you asshole). When I finally did get to the vet, he jumped on me and grabbed on so tightly with his claws that I was bleeding. He was crying, and his eyes, which are normally a beautiful, icy blue, were now black because his pupils were so huge due to stress. I held onto him as tightly as I could and went inside. Since no one else was there, they stuck me a room immediately to see the doctor.

I found out that Ike has a urinary tract infection. Some crystals formed in his urethra, making urinating beyond painful for him, so he was holding it, and pee was involuntarily dribbling out wherever he was. But, because he was holding it, his bladder was enlarged, and filled with urine like a balloon, and was going to burst. Soon. Kidney failure would come next, followed by death. My only option was for them to install a catheter to drain the urine, and give him meds to dissolve the crystals.

And it's only going to cost me a thousand fucking dollars.

Oh, yeah. I don't have a thousand dollars. So, I had to use credit cards that are "only in case of emergency" cards, that I can't really afford anyway.

Woo.

Mostly, I feel terrible that he was suffering this whole time, and I had no idea, and just thought he was pissing everywhere to be an asshole.

Kay, after I explained to her what happened, yelled at me for agreeing to pay that much for a cat, and that I shouldn't do it because I am always bitching about how many bills I already have. But, unfortunately, I realized in that exam room while I was sitting there trying to calm down my cat, that I am what I never thought I would be - someone whose animal has become her child. If I didn't pay, Ike would die, and it would be slow, and painful, and I couldn't live with myself if I did that.

So, I just added a grand to the Andria's Mountain O'debt. I am frustrated and overwhelmed at the current situation I am in, but there's nothing I can do about it except pay and pay and pay, and hopefully get this shit taken care of. I hate money. I really do.

I find it funny (not funny "haha," but funny "FUCK!") that DanjerusKurves and I both had expensive kitty weekends.

My lesson from all of this? Buy a real fucking cat carrier.

My chest looks like I got felt up by Freddy Kruger.

29 Comments:

At August 22, 2005 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO glad your baby/cat is going to be okay.
As far as the debt goes, get a web cam and have men make pay pal deposits to see your ta tas or something. lol

 
At August 22, 2005 11:58 AM, Blogger andria said...

Jenna, it's those ingenius and clever ideas that make me love you, my dear. And giggle.

Thanks for that. ;)

 
At August 22, 2005 12:08 PM, Blogger warcrygirl said...

If you don't have a webcam you can eBay scanned photocopies of your ta-tas OR you can auction off pairs of your old, stinky shoes to the foot fetishists on eBay.

Seriously, my friend is doing it and they are selling! The stinkier the better.

Hope Ike feels better soon; my aunt's cat had that and he recovered just fine. You'll have to get him special food from now on, though...

 
At August 22, 2005 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, even before you wrote that Ike has a UTI, I could tell from the symptoms of him pissing everywhere. When I first got my kitties, I read this massive book about cats, and I distinctly remember reading about UTIs. Anyway, I am glad that he will be ok. And do not feel bad, I have two cats that are my BABIES. Seriously. Children replacement. And I never in a million years thought that I would even LIKE cats. (I grew up with dogs.) But you can guarantee I would whip out my credit card if one of the was illin'!

 
At August 22, 2005 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cat cuts are the best

 
At August 22, 2005 12:28 PM, Blogger andria said...

Warcry, dammit. I literally just threw away about a dozen pairs of shoes because my feet have shrank a size. I so would have sold them to the freaky fetishists! I actually do have some crap to sell on ebay, I just have no friggin idea how. So I'll have to figure it out.

Anonymous - wtf? Leave your name so I can consult you the next time something goes wrong. ;)

 
At August 22, 2005 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Guardcat was sick I'd give her a heart transplant and rob a bank to do it. I think our kitties are important and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. They give us unconditional love (unlike HUMANS...ahem) and they are so worth spending money on. Good thoughts towards Ike's recovery!

 
At August 22, 2005 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andria, I went through that with one of mine and while it sucks financially, having Ike around for years to come more than make up for it. Stinky (Psycho by default too) have had to be on prescription cat food for 10 of the 11 years I've had them. Which has meant that sometimes the cats eat better than I do but the good news is that they're alive and just as much furry bastards as when they were kittens. You'll get through this and thanks to you so will Ike. -J

 
At August 22, 2005 1:39 PM, Blogger Rocky said...

Sometimes I wish my job also had a kitty health plan for just such emergencies. For what it's worth, I too have gone and would continue to go deeper in debt in a heartbeat if my cats Frankie or Ringo needed the medical attention.
Think of it as an investment: Ike will give you hundreds of times the grand in purrs and companionship, not to mention blog material.
As far as your Kruger-esque chest wounds, I would highly suggest going to your local Fire and Rescue unit, and have them show you how to apply medicated cream to start the healing process. For your HEALTH, Andria, for your HEALTH ;-D

 
At August 22, 2005 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rocky, you're a genius. GENIUS!

My readers are so much smarter than I am...

 
At August 22, 2005 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that happened to my mother's cat. in fact it happened so much that they had to keep enlarging his urethra until they decided it would be better to remove his penis altogether. crossgender cats = tres expensive.

 
At August 22, 2005 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meany, don't tease me with firemen!

I hope to use that phrase in a different context myself, sister, ;)

 
At August 22, 2005 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have done the same thing too. Don't feel bad about it - it's money well spent.

If I could be serious here for a second (which is odd for me, I know... but I still feel compelled to do it.) Really -when your pussy starts leaving cuts, it's time to start putting conditioner in your pubes or something... You'll get more firemen that way. Seriously. Okay, I am done being serious now.

 
At August 22, 2005 6:01 PM, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

I would have spent the money, too...at least, though, a UTI is a normal expensive cat problem. My friend Ruth's cat (a persian), got a ginormous hairball wedged up in her sinuses. She wouldn't eat, she kept making these horrible Darth Vader sounds...and it was only on the THIRD exploratory surgery that the vet saw the corner of the hairball.

Hope Ike is back to his cranky fluffy self soon. And get a duffle bag carrier that top-loads. Trying to wedge a fat, fluffy kitty in a little square opening...bad idea.

 
At August 22, 2005 9:07 PM, Blogger andria said...

Bill, I love when your comments get serious, because that proves you're not just going to make some stupid obvious joke during my deeply troubling time of pain. That's why I <# you, my dear.

Loopy, ugh. I don't even want to think what kind of hairball that gigantor cat of mine could get lodged ANYWHERE. That's frightening.

 
At August 22, 2005 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also pay no matter what. i think only cat owners would probably understand. My cat has become my child, I swear I love her more than words can say. When she looks at me with those beautiful green eyes, and sleeps in my arms at night and purrs...aw gawd I sound pathetic... But they are so worth it-right? Anyway I hope Ike feels good soon.. and that you chest feels better soon..hahaha (Freddy Kruger feeling you up...lol) xoxox Kathy

 
At August 23, 2005 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG my cat has the same. exact. problem. like, once a year or so. Last year I had guests over to stay and he pissed IN their luggage.
What joy was mine.
Apparently; it's VERY common with male cats; even more so once they've already had a UTI. Yah. It blows.
I'll offer unsolicited advice:
Get one of those cat water fountain thingies, (the more hydrated your cat is the less likely he'll form more crystals) and keep him on a strict diet of that urinary tract health cat food. THIS IS IMPORTANT! I've found out that if I've varied his diet at all, he gets another UTI. And then I must pay another billion dollars to uncork him.

p.s: it is NOT crazy that you paid your life away to fix him. It's what people who have hearts DO.

 
At August 23, 2005 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me make an obvious off color joke? NEVER! If it were an obvious joke, I would have gone the route of "If your pussy's leaving cuts, your pubes must be made of steel wool."

And I am not even going to mention what the hairballs must be like. Because that wouldn't be classy - and if there is one thing I am, it's classy.

I <# you too! Now go leave a comment on my site dammit!

 
At August 23, 2005 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you be sure that they are really matching? I think a judge is needed to make sure that they do indeed match - and it just so happens that I am available.

You are welcome.

 
At August 23, 2005 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, classy is definitely a word I would use to describe you. Uh huh. And about judging these scratches, you know, if I didn't know any better, I'd think that was a cheap ploy to see our boobs.

DK, I didn't know that about female cats. Hmmm...

 
At August 23, 2005 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

while for some, it might be a cheap ploy to see your boobs, I would never do that. Now lift those shirts and show me your knockers... er, I mean abrasions.

Side note: What the fuck? I can't do the strike function on this? Diaryland comments let use the strike function. Sheesh. Stupid Blogspot.

 
At August 23, 2005 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get over it. Actually, I don't like not having strikethrough either. But it's still better. ;)

And, you don't get to see the girls unless you offer up some skin yourself, mister. It's only fair.

 
At August 23, 2005 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay. I am honestly thinking of selling my used shoes...

Are you gonna start a ta ta cam??
That'd be SO cool!!!!
*giggle*

 
At August 23, 2005 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just trying to help decide who's scratches are worse... I am a giver. Leave it to you to turn it into something perverted. :-)

 
At August 23, 2005 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna, do it! Let the foot freaks make you some dough, sister. And,um, I don't think I'll be doing the ta ta webcam show...

I turned it into something perverted?? Pfft. You're the perv here, my dear. Not me.

Ok, ok. Bill, if you come over, I'll show you my scratches and then you can see for yourself. ;)

 
At August 23, 2005 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andria dear, you are so confused...

YOU = PERVERT

BILL = 80s MUSIC TRIVIA WINNER

 
At August 23, 2005 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, no. YOU'VE got it all wrong.

BILL = SORE LOSER AT 80'S MUSIC GAME

ANDRIA = GIRL WHOSE BOOBS BILL WILL NEVER SEE.<#

 
At August 23, 2005 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor kitty! Poor you! Poor me! Pour some sugar on me! Poor Bobby! Poor Viggo Mortensen's horse in "Hidalgo"! Poor Bill up there for being a sore loser! Poor both of you for being deluded and thinking YOU could possibly beat ME at '80s trivia!

 
At August 23, 2005 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The note you left at my diary made me laugh out loud because that's one of my fears as well. I need to let my sister know where the stash is so she gets there before my parents find it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home