Striving For Mediocrity

Ramblings of a thirtysomething sometimes bitter single girl living in Southern California with her gay cat and crazy neighbors. Doing her damnedest to find one good man that won't drive her completely nuts.

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Flip-floppers, and my Mom's better than your Mom.

I hate when celebrities go around crying about political issues. Are they really going to surprise us with anything new? "I'm a big famous Hollywood/rock star. You may be shocked to find that I am liberal and think every single Republican is the devil." That's the jist (gist? Fuck if I know) of every single thing they say. I almost wish Susan Sarandon would come out and blow up an abortion clinic or something, just to shake it up a little. Ok, maybe not blow it up, but you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong. I am all for the whole freedom of speech thing, I just think people that get paid to read off of a sheet of people are not necessarily the people I want educating me on the issues of the day.

That's what trustworthy and unbiased news sources like the Fox News Channel are for.

Ok, not really. But back to my story. So tonight I was watching the "Concert For Change" on the Sundance Channel, and The Dixie Chicks came out. I am a big fan of The Chicks.Back when the dreaded comment was made about Bush by Natalie Maines and all the backlash happened, I was frustrated on both sides. I hated that she got on stage and made the dumb comment (yes, I know it's her right. I hate political celebrities, though), but then the horrendous effect it had really upset me.

After 9/11 there was this militant patriotism that was happening, and anyone that said anything perceived to be "unAmerican" was outcasted and boycotted, and brutalized in certain areas of the media. People weren't playing them on the radio, they were burning their CD's, and threatening to not buy tickets on their next tour. Their album sales dipped a little bit, but it didn't have the disastrous effect all those wacked Bush supporters predicted it would have. I saw them that summer in Vegas, and every single seat in the MGM Grand was filled. And it was great. In spite of the fact I didn't like that she said it, I was glad they still had the support of their real fans.

Anywho, at this concert I watched tonight, Natalie made a comment that people still come up and ask her if she regrets making the statement that she was ashamed Bush was from Texas. She said she thought about it, and said no. That would make her a flip-flopper, and GW doesn't like flip-floppers. Heh.




And speaking of music, one of the best concerts I ever saw was Dave Matthews Band at Dodger Stadium, years ago.He is an amazing live performer. And, incidentally, the only concert where I spontaneously made out with a complete stranger. What can I say? "Crash Into Me" has that effect. Well, that and I was stoned out of my head.

That reminds me of a story. Back when I was like 18, I think, Kay and I were going to the Depeche Mode concert. She had some weed, and some papers, and that's it. Neither one of us knew how to roll a joint then, and realized right before we were leaving that we were going to be shit out of luck if we didn't find someone who could roll it. It was late in the night, and anyone we could think of was already out. Pathetic pot smokers, we were.

So, I bit the bullet, walked out of my bedroom, and into the den, where my Dad was. I was nervous as shit, because they had no idea I smoked pot ( I realize now that of course, they knew. My parents knew all the dumb shit I did). I knew my Mom and Dad were partiers (and still are, God help me), and they didn't really hide much from me, so I knew they could hook us up.

"Uh, Mike[stepdad who I refer to as my Dad]?"
"Yeah?"
"Kay got this stuff, and we need your help with it before we go to the show."

"What is it?" At this point, I handed him the baggie, with enough pot to make three good sized joints, and the papers. I didn't say anything, or even look at him for a minute. He looked at me, with the tiniest smile on his face. He knew how uncomfortable I was, and he loved every second of it. He just said, in a stern voice, "Wait here." He went upstairs to their room where my Mom was, and came back down about five minutes later and gave us two joints. All he said when he gave them to me was "Don't drive if you're too high, and don't ever tell your sister about this." Then I noticed that he only gave us two, and he gave me a look that told me if I had the balls to ask where the third one was, I'd better get the hell out of the house.

So we got the hell out and went to the concert. Me and Kay got high and lusted after Dave Gahan, while my parents got high and put on Dark Side Of The Moon.

Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home