Striving For Mediocrity

Ramblings of a thirtysomething sometimes bitter single girl living in Southern California with her gay cat and crazy neighbors. Doing her damnedest to find one good man that won't drive her completely nuts.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Mark your calendars.

Damn. I don't know how people who work with html all the time handle it, because doing this template was a pain in my ass. Of course, the fact that I'm pretty illiterate in these matters probably has something to do with the time and frustration.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at a web site of Japanese art that my lovely friend Scott turned me on to, and I saw a lot of really beautiful pictures, and wanted to use one in my template. I just had to figure out how.

I didn't even have to ask Loopy to do it for me this time. Holy crap, I'm proud of myself.


Did anyone see "The Family Guy" last week? When Chris got pulled into the A-ha video, I just about pissed myself I was laughing so hard. And my 20 year-old sister, Jackie, didn't understand why it was funny. I felt old.

Speaking of feeling old, I have realized that I've officially turned into my parents with current music (most of it, anyway).

Since those dickholes at MTV never play videos, anymore, it seems, I searched my guide and found a time during the day when they do. I set my tivo to record them. What a let-down. In three hours that I recorded, they literally only showed about ten different videos, and the only good ones were The Bravery, Gorillaz and Gwen Stefani (who is so damned gorgeous in her new video I couldn't take my eyes off of her). Everything else was some dopey blinged-out rappers, singing about a) what they wear, b) what they drive, and, c) what they drink. And they're surrounded by girls in bikinis doing some spastic ass-shaking dance that I don't understand. And don't find sexy.

But maybe that's just me.

The other videos were some angsty 20 year-olds whose band names escape me, but the lead singer in one looked like he didn't know if he wanted to be Billy Corgan, Marilyn Manson, or Siouxsie Sioux. And they all sound the same.

Almost the whole time, I just shook my head, confounded at the state of music. Just like my Dad used to do when I was blasting The Smiths and Depeche Mode when I was in high school, and I thought he was so old and out of it for not understanding how totally awesome (yeah, I just said totally awesome) these bands were to me (and still are).

Luckily, there are bands like Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Chiefs that remind me that not all of the new music sucks ass.


My weekend was pretty boring. I hung out with Kay and DMX's to barbeque, drink, and talk some crap. Mostly about how we hate our new friend Briton's bitch of a girlfriend, and how we are devising a plan to edge her out of the picture.

Yeah, we're nice.

DMX and I also remembered that it's almost time to celebrate the holiday that we made up.

About four years ago, he called me one Sunday around eleven in the morning.

"Hey, what are you doing?"
"Nothing. Why?"
"Well, Kay's out here planting some flowers and shit, and I'm going to start drinking beers. Come over and drink some."
"Ok."

What ended up happening was DMX and I drinking about a thousand beers, after which we decided that we would make the first Sunday in August a holiday (called Dandria Day), and we would throw a party, and mostly just drink our asses off, and take the Monday off of work. Which, I suppose we could just do any Sunday anyway, but we decided to make it an annual event, cause we're cool like that.

Or total dorks, depending on how you look at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home