Striving For Mediocrity

Ramblings of a thirtysomething sometimes bitter single girl living in Southern California with her gay cat and crazy neighbors. Doing her damnedest to find one good man that won't drive her completely nuts.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Celestia Part Two


If you missed part one of the history with Celestia, go back or click here.

Part Two: The Honeymoon's Over

One night, at the bar, I was sitting at a table with Dick and X. As I have mentioned before, I am much more comfortable hanging out with the guys than I am a group of girls. Therefore, guys talk to me differently than they do other girls (which is good and bad, because you end up hearing shit like “I wish my girlfriend was more like you” – fuck that). Dick told me that Celestia couldn’t get over how X chose me, and why was he dating someone like me when he could date someone “more his type,” which I can only figure “type” means “skinny.” This was my first taste of hearing about her incessantly talking behind my back. I had heard her talk about everyone else, I don’t know why I never assumed I would be one of those people when I wasn’t around.

For my 22nd birthday, my parents took me and a bunch of my friends to drinks and dinner. After my parents dropped around $400 for dinner and drinks for me and my friends, we went to our bar, where to Celestia’s credit, she and Kay went crazy with decorations for me. I had a great time, and had people buying me drinks left and right. My Dad was sitting at the bar, talking to Celestia (this is the first time they had had a chance to talk to her at length; every time they had talked to her before it was quick, when we were running out the door somewhere). Later (luckily before I blacked out completely), I was standing behind she and X in line for the bar, and I heard her ask him why he liked me. I don’t even remember what he said, I just remember how pissed I was. At that point, she was just someone in the group, and I no longer considered her my friend.

I didn’t know it until years later, but X was on the short list of men that hadn’t slept with her, despite her best efforts to get him. I guess she couldn’t handle that he rejected her and later chose me, someone who embodies everything she considers unattractive.

The next day, my Mom told me that my Dad was pissed that Celestia popped off and said something to him at the bar, but he wouldn’t tell her what. It pissed me off, considering how much money he dropped to make sure my friends had a good time. He said what it was didn’t matter, just that he had better not be around the next time she was in our house. To this day, I still don’t know what she said to him, and he still hates her for it.

Kay broke up with Mama’s Boy, and started dating DMX, who she met at our bar. DMX had a whole group of friends at the bar, too, and Kay and I found ourselves spending more time with their group than with our own. Not having to listen to Celestia talk shit about everyone else was a nice break.
When Celestia’s mom moved in with her boyfriend, she needed a roommate. Logic would think her boyfriend would move in, but he knew he didn’t want to live with her, and Kay needed a place, so she became Celestia’s roommate. This meant if I hung out with Kay, I was going to have to hang with her all the time, too. This is also about the time I started drinking A LOT more.

Kay and DMX were spending a lot of time together, being that they were just starting to date. Celestia called Kay at work one day and told her that she didn’t want DMX there when she got home from work every day anymore, because it made her uncomfortable. She also suggested that he might pay 1/3 of the rent since he was there so much, and had some of their food while he was there. Kay pretty much laughed in her face and told her to fuck off. For principle, I started showing up everyday right when she got home.

I think that Celestia’s jealousy and insecurity in her own self is the reason for her behavior. Obviously. Her relationship with Dick was a joke. He played softball seven days a week, and only showed up on the weekends when he needed someplace to crash. He also slept around, which everyone knew about, including Celestia, and she just took it. I was in a normal, happy relationship (at least it was at the time), and then Kay hooks up with this awesome guy who wants to spend all of his time with her, and it was in her face everyday.

But if she was unhappy, she could have changed it, and she didn’t. So fuck her.

We play a lot of poker. And a lot of drinking games. One night, after we came home from this little Hawaiian themed bar in which I got shitfaced drunk off Scorpions (BAD BAD BAD. These drinks are good, but they will fuck you. Trust me). We decided to play cards. Celestia and Kay were tired, and went to bed, so Dick, DMX, Briton and I were staying up playing poker. I don’t know how it ended up this way, or how I even agreed to it (oh yeah I do – the fucking Scorpions), but we decided the only logical thing to do: Strip poker, of course.

I was so drunk that I didn’t realize that they were cheating their asses off every chance they got so that my clothes would come off. I was so drunk I didn’t even notice that it might not be possible for them to keep getting royal flushes every hand.

Needless to say, I kept losing, and those three fuckers got to see the girls, before I realized that I took my shirt off thinking I still had my bra on (which of course, I did not).

The next morning, we were all hungover and laughing about it, and Celestia stormed off and slammed the door to her bedroom, telling Dick that he was an asshole for looking at my boobs, and why did he want to play strip poker with me anyway, and blah blah blah.

I think because I was always hanging out with Dick and the other guys and laughing and having a good time, and I never gave him grief about shit the way she did, she must have been in some little way jealous that her boyfriend liked hanging out with me. It was nothing I had done intentionally, I am just a guy’s girl. Always have been. On many Sundays, Kay and Celestia would go shopping, and I would hang out at the apartment drinking beer and watching sports with Dick and DMX. I still do that with my guy friends.

To be continued...


Today was my friend Angela's son's Jack's baptism. Given my ambivolence with religion, I don't really like these events. But they're my friends, and it means something to them, so I go. I am always afraid that I am going to spontaniously combust as soon as I walk into a church for the things I've done. Needless to say, I am a little uncomfortable. Not to mention that it's a catholic ceremony, so there's a lot of standing up, sitting down, kneeling, praying, and doing the sign of the cross.

While I don't find much comfort inside a church religiously, I find a beauty in them artistically. I especially love mosaic art, so I was particularly taken with this:

and this (it's a little dark):


The weather today was fantastic. After the baptism ordeal was over, I decided to go out into the sunshine and go for a drive, and maybe take a few pictures.

This is what it looked like by my house:

Sunny. Warm. Beautiful.

But when I got to the beach, where I wanted to take the best pictures, it looked like this:

The Pacific Ocean is in there, somewhere.

It amazes me how it can be so warm and sunny in one place, and five miles west it's completely foggy and overcast.

Luckily, it cleared out and it was nice the rest of the day.


Today, I white-trashed it up and watched nascar with my friends. RAM came up and asked me a question.

"TT, how come you and Mom have these big things and Dad and Uncle [Briton] don't?" (Pointing to my chest)

"Because only girls have them." Then he walked over to our friend Good Girl, who is not as... busty as Kay and I.

"[Good Girl], where's yours?"

I love kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home