Striving For Mediocrity

Ramblings of a thirtysomething sometimes bitter single girl living in Southern California with her gay cat and crazy neighbors. Doing her damnedest to find one good man that won't drive her completely nuts.

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Surprise, I'm going to hell.

People have a very strong reaction when a woman of "child bearing years" says that she doesn't ever want to have children. I don't understand this. I figure that at 30 years old, I should be pretty settled in my maternal urges, and know whether or not I plan to unleash my spawn onto society.

Well, I don't plan to.

My friend's mother, a strict, traditional Irish Catholic woman, told me that I am committing a sin by not getting married and having children. Sigh. I am neither strict nor religious and I don't go around telling other people how to live their lives. Maybe I need to start, because everybody and their fucking mother (literally!) feels the need to tell me that it's time to \"settle down\". I don't get it. I can't decide if all my friends really are way more uptight than I thought they were, or they're all a little envious of my freedom, since they are all married and starting families. The grass is always greener on the other side, I suppose.

I like being single, but I occassionally do have moments when I wish I was in a relationship that was a bit more serious than the "relationship" that I am in. Which is just sex. Don't get me wrong, the sex is AWESOME with Jason, but that's all it is. Maybe when I meet someone I am interested in for more than just sex, my feelings about settling down will change. But don't count on it. Who the fuck knows. But for now, I am going to keep enjoying the most amazing sex I have ever had.

I am full of contradictions.

It's part of my charm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home